Horses are wonderful creatures to have and ride, but they do take a lot of looking after and one of the items that they seem to always damaging are their blankets. Luckily, you can now purchase a variety of Australian made iron on patches to mend all types of horse blankets and sheets.
People use horse rugs, blankets and sheets to protect their horses from the elements. Sometimes they are needed because of the cold and at other times to protect them from the hot sun.
But horses just like humans are playful and like to chase each other and sometimes “horse play”, often their blankets take the brunt of this activity as well as the odd heavy scratching session.
These heavy duty iron on patches are the perfect solution for repairing rips, tears, and holes in horse blankets and sheets as well as any other fabric that needs a strong durable repair such as work clothes, tents and ski clothing.
How to fix your torn horse blankets with iron on patches
For best results, the blanket should be washed first as nothing will stick to dirt, but if this is not possible, it should be at least cleaned in the areas, you want to iron on the patches and then dried.
- Check to see if your horse blanket can withstand ironing, if you are unsure, use a cotton sheet between the iron and the area to be patched
- Ensure there is no water in the iron if it’s a steam iron
- Turn the iron on to a hot setting
- Cut or trim your iron on patches to the size needed to cover the area to be mended allowing a generous overlap and round any corners to stop them fraying
- Place the iron on patches on the area to be repaired with the glued or sticky side down
- Place your cotton cloth over the patch
- Iron on patches using a continuous motion for 3 to 5 minutes, do not hold stationary in one place
- Finish by ensuring you have ironed and pressed the patch around the edges
- Let the repair cool and inspect the bond to make sure it’s completely attached, it it’s not re-iron it in those areas
These iron on patches are now available in a variety of colours and fabrics. They are very inexpensive, making them a must have item for anyone with a horse rug or blanket. Being very easy to use, they will make instant permanent repairs to your expensive horse blanket.
When you find a small hole, tear or rip in your blanket you can repair it with an iron on patches before it gets bigger. Even large rips or holes can be successfully repaired using iron on patches.
These iron on patches make an ideal and very practical gift for any horse owner, so sign up to our news letter now and receive regular, practical advice, product offers and discounts.